Research Scientist - Plant Functional Genomics
DEPARTMENT OF JOBS, PRECINCTS AND REGIONS
RESEARCH SCIENTIST – PLANT FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS
- $62,705 – $85,956 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed Term, 2 years
- Usual hours of work: Full Time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Bundoora (flexibility may be available)
Research Scientists in Plant Functional Genomics aim to understand the genes and molecular mechanisms underlying trait variation in crop species important to the agricultural sector. The role of this position involves participating in research that applies plant molecular biology, plant tissue culture and cell biology across a range of crops, including wheat, canola and forage grasses, using cutting edge conventional genetic engineering and precision genome editing techniques. Primary duties and responsibilities include conducting technical work for plant tissue culture and plant transformation, molecular and phenotypic analysis of transgenic events, and in vitro and glasshouse plant care and maintenance.
- A Degree in Science, Agricultural Science or an equivalent science qualification.
- Working knowledge of plant tissue culture, plant cell biology and plant molecular biology methods that are applicable to the generation and characterisation of transgenic events using conventional genetic engineering and precision genome editing techniques.
- Competency in a range of gene transfer techniques applied to different crop species, as well as other plant cell culture techniques such as the establishment and maintenance of liquid cultures.
- Experience working within a plant transformation pipeline and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Competency in managing and tracking independent experiments and electronic management of datasets, use of bright field/fluorescence microscopy and imaging software, and in performing daily calibration, operation and maintenance of high-speed cell sorters.
- Self-motivation with ability to work independently and reliably under minimal supervision, or in a team.
The position of Research Scientist – Plant Functional Genomics is part of the Agriculture Victoria Research branch of the Agriculture Victoria group. Agriculture Victoria works with industry and community stakeholders to support the agriculture, food and fibre sector to become more globally competitive, innovative and resilient.
For a confidential discussion, please call Dr Sareena Sahab, Senior Research Scientist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a National Police Records Check prior to commencing employment with the Department.
To be eligible for this position you must hold the mandatory qualification outlined in the position description. If the recommended candidate for this position obtained their qualifications overseas, they must provide a certified statement indicating their equivalence to Australian qualifications. Information on this process is available from the Federal Department of Education & Training web site.
How to Apply
Please click the ‘Apply Now' button. As part of the application process, you will need to provide a copy of your resume and a cover letter addressing the key selection criteria outlined in the position description.
Applications close at midnight on 9 March 2021.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: